Monday, February 2, 2009

Okay, someone I actually admire

Despite my firm belief not to turn athletes into hero's, I can't deny my admiration for Cardinal Quarterback Kurt Warner. Despite losing, his performance in the Super Bowl surely solidified his induction into the Hall of Fame. Personally, I thought his 377 yards, 3 TDs and clutch 4th Quarter play was good enough to receive the award for MVP, but I can't argue giving it to a player from the winning team. After the game, a reporter went to the losing team's locker room for the always awkward post game interviews. Even though Warner had just experienced one of the most disappointing losses of his career, he managed to put a smile on his face and talk about how proud he was of his teammates. Rather than give the Jesus shout out, or just pout, Warner showed love and appreciation to his team with sincerity and pride. Maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit, but it's just one example of the many things I admire about him. Here's a decent story about him if you're not familiar with his family background. I believe he is one of the best human interest stories of our generation. I try not to put athletes up on a pedestal, but it's hard not to with this guy.

2 comments:

Steph said...

commenting only because I feel pressure to. and because i can within the hour of posting.

Bill Cummings said...

I'm definitely with you on this one...