Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Last Lecture

I recently finished a book called "The Last Lecture". It was an incredibly short and simple book, but the story behind the book is impacting and amazing. My mom gave it to me for my birthday earlier this year with the instruction of passing it on.

Randy did end up dying over the summer, but not before touching millions of people with his story. There will always be those people we foolishly want to believe "have it all figured out", but I really think that Randy at least had something figured out. I don't know what it means to "have it all figured out", but to accept an early death with satisfaction and contentment sounds like a good start. We can all learn something from someone so secure in his outlook on life. I'd like to think that I could stare death in the eye without fear or panic, but I somehow doubt it. Unfortunately, none of us will ever know what we're really made of until we come face to face with the inevitable. We just hope that we'll be ready when that day comes.

If you can't read the book, at least watch the last lecture that inspired the writing of the book.

No comments: