Monday, July 13, 2009

South Africa preps for World Cup

Is there any doubt that OTL is the best show on ESPN? I'm a little concerned that South Africa won't have everything completed before the cup, but I'm sure they'll be fine hosts nonetheless. This should be good for thier image, good for their economy and a very enjoyable experience for them. FIFA is doing a lot of things all over Africa and their efforts are very well accepted by the locals. Hopefully these programs will continue after 2010. Here are some thoughts from some boys in Soweto on what football and the World Cup mean to them:



On a personal note, I had been planning on living in South Africa next year before my plans fell through. Not to sound too cliche about it, but I think it is for the best. My interest in Africa has a lot to do with getting away from the hustle and bustle of Western life and moving to Joburg at the time of the World Cup may have been a nightmare for me. I'd prefer to watch football in Gulu at a bar with just a 13" screen and about 50 guys crawling on top of each other, rather than a packed staium with $10 beer and obnoxious drunks, but I'm kinda weird I suppose. Also, I have fallen in love with my girlfriend, Stephanie and I can't imagine what it would have been like to have to leave her for a year. America's not too bad I suppose.

No comments: